Re: [sixties-l] "Stalinist"? -- To David Horowitz

From: John Campbell McMillian (jcm67@columbia.edu)
Date: 09/29/00

    Colleagues,

    Once again, you've played into the hands of Horowitz and (surprise!)
    nothing terribly useful or productive has come out of it.  Let
    me ask you all this: why do you think Horowitz is on this list?
    To learn something about the 1960s?  To promote some of the ideals of the
    1960's, including tolerance, civil rights, particpatory democracy,
    civic initiative, and the liberalization of American culture?   To examine
    the historiography of the period?  To draw attention to the latest
    scholarly resources for studying the 1960's?

    No, no, no and no.  He's here to cause trouble, inflame passions,
    and whine and complain to a captive audience.  And - I'm sorry to say it
    again - there's still way too many people on this list who are revealing
    themselves as suckers for  playing right into his hands.  Can we please
    all follow Marty's lead, and let his posts pass without comment. (Or - if
    you get slandered or insulted or mis-represented by Horowitz, take solace
    in the fact that almost no one here takes him seriously, and get on with
    our lives?)

    It's perfectly clear by now that Horowitz has all the emotional maturity
    of a grade-school bully, but I'm sure if we all ignore him for long
    enough, he'll go away.

    Best,

    John McMillian