Re: [sixties-l] "Stalinist"? -- To David Horowitz

From: David Horowitz (Dhorowitz@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/29/00

    I will ignore the insults in this letter to state clearly my intentions. I
    joined this list to find out what people are thinking. I have spent twenty
    years trying to engage the left in serious discussion of who we were and what
    we did, beginning with an article that appeared in the Nation in 1979 that I
    had called "Left Illusions" and the Nation retitled "A Radical's
    Disenchantment." My autobiography Radical Son is full of serious argument with
    the left (and, to be sure, a few polemics with those who have personally
    attacked me). In these years I have found a few (but very few) leftists
    willing to discuss these matters soberly and respectfully. Ninety-percent of
    my experience is that when I raise an issue I am vicious and personally
    attacked, and then when I respond in kind (I am not about to be intimidated by
    such tactics), the other side suddenly becomes the "victim" of my "abuse." I
    think anyone reading the exchanges on this thread will see that I generally if
    not always wait for the attack and respond in kind, that whenever someone
    addresses an issue in a serious manner, I am prepared to respond in kind as
    well. I invite you or anyone else to pick issue. Ask a question for example.
    That would a civil way of beginning. But I'm not holding my breath.