Re: [sixties-l] Re: Hitchins on Nader

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: 11/29/00

    Hi Don,

    At 05:46 PM 11/28/2000 -0800, you wrote:
    >snip snip
    >And I'm protesting the Bushes bringing in Republicans to disrupt the vote
    >counting. (Sorry Marty, I'm not pissed with you but your logic doesn't
    >hold. I would still protest the Nazis "civil disobedience" to attack the
    >Jews.)

    So would I, but that's not the point I was making. In my
    never-ending but frustrating (and Abbie-Hoffmanish) effort to
    prod the left into seeing how other's perceive us, I thought it a
    useful exercise to look at the right-wing demonstrators (separating
    them from their politics) and see what messages the act of waving
    placards, shouting slogans, and being in the camera's face conveys.

    Demonstrations should be organized as theater so that the action of the
    demonstrators conveys the message intended. Signs, slogans, raised
    fists, etc. don't necessarily do the trick and sometimes even undercut
    what we're trying to convey.

    This was one of Abbie's lessons of the sixties, and something WIN Magazine and
    the NY Workshop in Nonviolence (both of which I was involved with during the
    sixties)
    were experimenting with. The left, in its public demonstrations, often wanted
    to be
    seen as "militant." That was the goal.  But militance can be a real turn-off to
    the public.
    And reaching the public is one, if not the only, reason to demonstrate in the
    street.

    The GOP in Miami was pretty ugly (in a petty kind of way). I would suggest that
    that is what the left also looks like to the general -- even the sympathetic
    --public.

    Marty

    Marty Jezer . 22 Prospect Street . Brattleboro, VT 05301

    Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books)
    Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press)
    The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press)
    Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House)

    Check out my web page:  http://www.sover.net/~mjez