Re: [sixties-l] Un-American Studies (fwd)

From: wmmmandel@earthlink.net
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 02:07:55 EDT

    I would be exceedingly interested in seeing Prof. Wald's and Scott
    McLemee's and Matthew Countryman's reactions to my SAYING NO TO POWER. I
    wrote it very much with use in American Studies in mind. I attended last
    year's meeting of the American Studies Association in Detroit, and
    distributed flyers on it to all present, with enthusiastic blurbs from
    as catholic a collection of Americans as can be conceived: Howard Zinn,
    Pete Seeger, poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Black Scholar editor Robert
    Allen, U.C. Berkeley Ethnic Studies Prof. Carlos Munoz, Jr., radio
    historian Matthew Lasar. Interest by those in attendance in Detroit was
    minimal, and I have not been informed of anyone requiring or
    recommending that students read the book.
            I simply don't understand that. It is the more puzzling because my five
    previous books have all been used in higher education.
                                                            William Mandel

    "Matthew J. Countryman" wrote:

    > 60's legacies within academia
    >
    > > From the CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATIO, issue dated June 15, 2001
    > >

    > > A Star of American Studies (or Is That 'Un-American Studies'?)
    > >
    > > By SCOTT McLEMEE
    > >
    > > "Why this thing, in this way, at this time?" wonders Paul
    > > Lauter.
    > -- Alan Wald, Director, Program in American Culture, University of
    > Michigan.

    My autobiography,  SAYING NO TO POWER (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999),
    is styled for the general reader. However, if you teach in the social
    sciences, consider it for course use. It was written as a social history
    of the U.S. for the past three-quarters of a century through the eyes of
    a participant observer in most progressive social movements (I'm 84),
    and of the USSR from the standpoint of a Sovietologist (five earlier
    books) knowing that country longer than any other in the profession.
    Therefore it is also a history of the Cold War. Positive reviews in The
    Black Scholar, American Studies in Scandinavia, San Francisco Chronicle,
    forthcoming in Tikkun, etc. CHAPTERS MAY BE READ AT www.BillMandel.net
    where you may also hear/see/read my defiant testimony before the House
    Un-American Activities Committee and, earlier, Sen. Joe McCarthy.