[sixties-l] Un-American Studies (fwd)

From: Matthew J. Countryman (mcountry@umich.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:51:09 EDT

    60's legacies within academia

    > From the CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATIO, issue dated June 15, 2001
    >

    > A Star of American Studies (or Is That 'Un-American Studies'?)
    >
    > By SCOTT McLEMEE
    >
    > "Why this thing, in this way, at this time?" wonders Paul
    > Lauter. It is a favorite question of the former president of
    > the American Studies Association, and he repeats it, varying
    > the emphasis: "Why this thing, in this way, at this time?"
    >
    > We are sitting in his apartment here with Te-hsing Shan, a
    > researcher from the Institute of European and American Studies
    > at the Academia Sinica, in Taiwan. He is holding a copy of Mr.
    > Lauter's new book, From Walden Pond to Jurassic Park:
    > Activism, Culture, and American Studies (Duke University
    > Press). I wonder if the Chinese scholar can detect the play of
    > identities in Mr. Lauter's accent: He sounds like a New
    > England gentleman from the Bronx.
    >
    > At Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., where he is a professor
    > of literature, students sometimes laugh when they hear Mr.
    > Lauter use his trademark pedagogical catchphrase. Clearly he
    > is fond of it. "To me," he explains, "American studies is an
    > effort to get people to think about how they are being shaped
    > by a variety of forces that are operating in our society. It's
    > a way of stepping back from the culture enough to get your
    > bearings. That means learning to see things both in their
    > specific form and in their context." As the title of his book
    > may suggest, he takes that approach whether the topic is
    > Steven Spielberg's rampaging dinosaurs or Henry David
    > Thoreau's meditations.
    >
    > For that matter, Mr. Lauter's favorite question could just as
    > well be turned on his own work: Why this book, in this field,
    > at this time?
    >
    > A short answer would be that American studies has changed
    > profoundly in the past decade or so, and in part that's due to
    > the efforts of Mr. Lauter himself. Writing the book helped him
    > to get his bearings in the field by putting American studies
    > under scrutiny, just as he does other cultural productions.
    >
    > In the old arrangement, as he says, students entering graduate
    > work as Americanists found "a hybrid where you learned a
    > little bit of literature, a little bit of history, and a
    > little bit of art." They also absorbed more than a little bit
    > of cold-war propaganda, he argues. The rapid growth of
    > American studies during the 1940's and 50's was fueled by
    > ready cash from government agencies intent on differentiating
    > national identity from the values embodied in totalitarian
    > societies, whether fascist or Communist.
    >
    > In the aftermath of the cold war, however, Americanists have
    > faced a different set of questions. For example: How do racial
    > and national identity interact? Why should "American studies"
    > pertain only to the region north of the Rio Grande? A shift
    > toward cultural studies took place that makes sense in the era
    > of globalization, Mr. Lauter argues, when culture is our
> [...]
    -- Alan Wald, Director, Program in American Culture, University of
    Michigan.
    Mailing address: 2402 Mason Hall, 419 South State St., Ann Arbor, Mi.
    48109-1027. Office address: Room 2409A Mason Hall. Office phone:
    734-763-1460 (9:00 am-4:30); 734-647-2102 (after hours). Home phone:
    734-995-1499.
    e-mail: awald@umich.edu. Faxes can be received at AC office:
    734-936-1967