Re: [sixties-l] Re: Vietnam War or views of enemies

From: William M. Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/05/01

    Walt Rostow gets a number of pages in Gregory Mitrovich' UNDERMINING THE KREMLIN:
    America's Strategy to Subvert the Soviet Bloc, Cornell University Press, 2000,
    accurately described in the cover blurb thus: "containment was only the first step
    in a clandestine campaign to destroy Soviet power. Drawing on recently declassified
    U.S. documents, Mitrovich reveals a range of previously unknown covert actions
    launched during the Truman and Eisenhower administrations. Through the aggressive
    use of psychological warfare, officials sought to provoke political crisis among key
    Soviet leaders, to incite nationalist tensions within the USSR, and to foment unrest
    across Eastern Europe, Mitrovich demosntrates that inspiration for these efforts did
    not originate within the intelligence community, but with individuals at the highest
    levels of policymaking in the U.S. government."
        Rostow was at the heart of all this.
        Mitrovich is all the more convincing to non-Lefts because he employs Cold War
    language throughout: "the Soviet threat," etc.
                                                                    William Mandel