[sixties-l] Response to US-Nazi comparison

From: Jvaron@aol.com
Date: 12/01/00

    > Carrol Cox wrote:

    Three points.

    The post I was responding to suggested that a third party could prosper
    only by being "between" the two parties. But as many recognize, there is
    no room between the two parties.

    My image was being between Hitler & Goebbels. I said nothing of
    Stalin.  And now a more substantial point. The oligarchy that rules the U.S.
    through its single party with two faces is, on the whole, less harsh
    on the population of the U.S. than Hitler was on the population of
    Germany. But from the viewpoint of the *rest* of the world,
    certainly the U.S. today (and for the last 50 years) has been a
    far greater threat than the Third Reich was.

    And while I made no reference one way or the other to the USSR,
    I will add now that whatever one may think of the domestic policy
    of the Soviet Union, it was never a serious threat to the remainder
    of the human species, as the U.S. Empire certainly is. So supporting
    *either* Bush or Gore is the equivalent (from the perspective of
    world history) of supporting Hitler in Germany in 1933. >>

    Forgive me, but this approaches gibberish that only embarrases the left.  The
    Hitler comments are unsupportable; to say that the US gvt. is "on the whole
    less harsh" on its population than was the Nazi Reich gravely underdescribes
    the evils of Nazism. And Nazism was of course a crazed and aggressive form of
    imperialism that "threatened" with enslavement and the extermination of large
    groups of people pretty much all of Eastern Europe, much of Western Europe
    and, potentially, any other damn place within the reach of the German army.
    Hello?!!  It took a half dozen nations and rebels in countless occupied
    territories all out war to stem Nazi expansionism at the cost of, what, 30
    million lives?  Had the Nazis developed the A-bomb first or developed the V-2
    rocket the death toll could have been many tens of millions more.

    The devestation of US imperialism is no doubt extreme.  But to equate the
    intent and methods of rule of Nazism and the US is both unnecessary and
    absurd. Please, learn something about German history and the history of the
    Holocaust before hazarding such claims.  And recommending so is not a retreat
    into privilege.  Yes, for those suffering most directly the oppressions of
    our system, the system's evil is absolute.  Death is death, murder is murder,
    and these exist as abslute, not relative categories.  But as a matter of
    historical and sociological judgement differences in quantity and quality do
    matter.

    Also, to say that the Soviet Union did not "export" terror is also specious.
    The Russification of the Soviet Union under Stalin was a kind of war by
    "white Russia" on ethnic, racial and religious minorities within the
    territorial USSR that amounted to the persecution of "foreign" peoples; that
    is, the USSR was forged, arguably, thru a kind of "internal" imperialism with
    partially racialized enemies.

    Jeremy