Re: [sixties-l] stop the theft of the election

From: Mark Bunster (mbunster@saturn.vcu.edu)
Date: 11/11/00

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Ted Morgan wrote:

    > Regarding the peerless founders, yes, the did know what they were doing.
    > They were creating a political system that would maximize stability along
    > with the ability of elites to govern in the best interests of 'life, liberty,
    > and property' --particularly their lives, liberties, and property.  The
    > electoral college was just one of many institutional creations designed to
    > minimize "public input" into government (read: democracy).  Madison famously
    > writes of intemperate "factions" in Federalist 10.  Somewhat like Walter
    > Lippmann's view of the "bewildered herd" that should have its political
    > opinions carefully managed through the public relations industry and other
    > elite-dominated entities (like the media).

    No doubt. But all of that doesn't controvert the fact that we were not
    ceonceived as a democracy, but a republic. Further, while the college may
    hinder the will of the majority, its much mroe important function is to
    hinder the tyranny of the majority, lest less populated areas receive less
    stake in the weight of the election. Further, can you IMAGINE what would
    be going on if it was one vote, winner take all? A national recount??