[sixties-l] Re: heoes of the sixties

From: PNFPNF@aol.com
Date: 11/11/00

    In the summer of 1967, a few of us went to leaflet the Enterprise, which was
    docking in Oakland on a return from Vietnam.  People warned us "You'll get
    killed down there" and the like; there were only five of us.  In fact, the
    sailors coming off the ship gladly took our leaflets, often said "You're
    right" or "I agree" or the like, and only in a handful of cases pretended to
    ignore us or spoke against us.
      Only a few weeks earlier, on a plane to the East Coast, I happened to be
    sitting next to a middle-age man, in civilian clothes, who turned out to be
    some (low-ranking) general on leave from Vietnam.  He too, when we spoke,
    sometime during the trip, of the the war, agreed we needed to get out
    immediately.
      These are mere anecdotes, but are among the, probably, millions showing how
    great was Americans' sentiment against the war.
      Paula