Re: [sixties-l] stop the theft of the election

From: Uriah768@aol.com
Date: 11/08/00

    One thing is certain now: According to all the networks,
    Gore is going to win the popular vote.

    But they are also saying that, no matter if he has won the
    most votes, he may be denied the Presidency -- because
    of the Electoral College!

    My fellow Americans -- we have to set aside our
    differences regarding Gore and Nader and demand,
    IMMEDIATELY DEMAND, that Bush step aside and
    not claim the Presidency based on this insane ancient
    Electoral College. The Electoral College was designed by
    the founding fathers who wrote it into the Constitution along
    with this rule: only white men who owned property and paid
    taxes would be allowed to vote.

    The United States is no longer that country. This is a
    democracy. One person, one vote. We should have done
    away with this antique long before now. I guess no one ever
    thought it would come to a night like this.

    Well, it did.

    Even though I did not vote for Al Gore, for all the reasons
    I have previously stated (from his support of the death
    penalty to his promise to expand our militrary), the majority
    of those who voted yesterday DID vote for him -- and,
    therefore the will of the people must be honored. He must
    take his seat in the Oval Office.

    Already, the pundits and professional political hacks are
    harumphing about how the Constitution must be followed.
    They are saying both candidates knew the rules and now
    must abide by them.

    It's also against "The Law" to wear a hat on Sunday in
    Helena, Montana, and it is written into LAW that a woman
    in Tucson must not spit on the sidewalk. Those and thousand
    of laws like it are still on the books. But common sense
    dictates that we ignore these laws.

    We must ask that common sense and decency prevail here
    with this election. Al Gore is the choice of the people. To
    go against that single, explicit fact would do more damage
    to an already cynical electorate than I want to imagine.
    Once again we had the same sad situation yesterday when
    half the country didn't even vote! Can we afford to have
    more citizens lose even more faith in our democracy?

    There will be ample time to analyze and discuss the
    other issues regarding this election. One thing is clear
    -- most of the Nader voters decided at the last minute
    to change their vote to Al Gore. Nader's 5% in the polls
    for the past month ended up being less than 3% in the
    voting booth. In Florida, Nader went from an expected
    6% of the vote to only 1.7% of the votes cast! Exit polls
      showed that Fear of Bush lead to nearly all of Nader's
    support there to switch over to Gore. Nader's votes
    came from those who said they were registered
    Republicans or who were initially planning on not voting
    for either candidate. In Oregon, half of Nader's voters
    went for Gore, with the same happening in Wisconsin. In
    the end, Ralph achieved neither his 5% goal, nor did his
    supporters help to elect Bush.

    For me, what truly put Gore in jeopardy through most
    of the night was losing his home state to Bush. Those 11
    electoral votes could have made all the difference. And
    to lose Clinton's Arkansas was a serious blow to wrapping
    up the election early.

    But a dead guy won, defeating a Republican incumbent
    Senator in Missouri. At least two or three women have
    been added to the ranks of the Senate. Hillary won,
    causing right-wing nuts everywhere to go into convulsions.
    The governor of Vermont, who many thought might lose
    because of his support of Vermont's new gay marriage law,
    won. The state of Colorado, in the wake of Columbine,
    passed a gun control law by a vote of 70 to 30 percent.
    Michigan slammed Bush hard, as I predicted.

    But, as I said, we can discuss all this later. Right now, all
    good citizens must speak out today, in the next few hours,
    loudly and clearly, that George W. Bush has lost the vote
    of the people and we will NEVER trust all the shenanigans
    that took place with the vote in Florida tonight -- a vote
    presided over by none other than Little Brother Governor
    Jeb Bush!! Send e-mails, call talk shows, contact your
    congressmen and women -- RAISE HOLY BLOODY HELL!!

    I guess I'm not going to bed. My support for Nader will
    have no integrity if I am not willing to do everything in my
    limited power to support the main belief of the Nader campaign
    -- demand that the will of the people be heeded and heard. I
    ask all of Ralph's supporters -- those who voted for him, and
    those who voted for Gore -- to join with me this morning to stop
    this potential theft of our majority democratic rule.

    Yours,

    Michael Moore
    mmflint@aol.com
    www.michaelmoore.com

    My my...somebody give the boy a sedative!!  The truth is that Michael Moore
    needs a lesson in basic civics.  The electoral college, albeit antiquated, is
    still the law of the land.  In a nation of laws, you deal with such problems
    by reworking or scrapping the law.  If you don't like the electoral college,
    then start a push in Congress for an amendment to overturn it, as that is the
    ONLY way the electoral college can be disbanded.

    I cannot help but wonder if Moore would be raising this kind of hell if it
    had been Bush that won the popular vote and Gore had won the electoral vote.
    I doubt it.  What he now terms an outrage would be the savior of the
    republic.  Rail all you want, Michael.  The same dead white elitist males who
    created the electoral college also stuck in the First Amendment, which by the
    way, protects your right to rail...and my right to laugh at this strained
    attack on the "democratic will of the people."  And for the record, this same
    thing happened in 1888.  Stop acting like it has never happened before in our
    history.

    I for one think the electoral college should be scrapped, but that can only
    be done in the future to handle future elections.  You cannot in a nation of
    laws change the rules in the middle of the game to say that your team won
    because you had better game statistics than your opponent.

    I shall return to lurking and keep my libertarian ideas in check.  Forgive me
    for jumping in, but I couldn't resist commenting on Moore's pseudo-populist
    rant.  Go make another movie, Mike...it is what you do best.

    A Harry Browne supporter who is looking for legal counsel to find some way to
    prove that the will of the people has been violated because the guy I liked
    didn't win,

    I am...

    Brad Duren
    Instructor of History