[sixties-l] guns and who won

From: PNFPNF@aol.com
Date: 10/06/00

    Am I naive or are yes/no debates re gun control (or, for that matter, re
    whether the left or right--old or new of either--was bigger at the start of
    the 1960s) are not likely to get resolved here?  Discussion of each, however,
    is bringing up some fascinating history.
      One point, re the first--was it James Bevel or someone else from the civil
    rights movement who said another reason for nonviolence here is "they have
    bigger guns" (or the like--I am sorry--I do not have the exact quote).   I
    still rather agree with that point--and yet I share Roz's feeling. While the
    US is hardly Chile (or vice versa, for all the former's trying), what would
    have happened had Allende armed the people?   (This is the old militia/1776
    argument, I know.)
    Paula