Re: [sixties-l] Re: Vietnam War Memorial

From: Uriah768@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 03:49:59 CUT

    In a message dated 06/15/2000 10:22:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
    sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu writes:

    << How about a
      memorial to all the dead of that war in hopes of preventing the next one?

      steve warren >>

    I have yet to see a memorial that ever prevented a war. We are a society
    that is memorial crazy...as if a memorial prevents something from happening
    in the future. A memorial is best for remembering an event and/or persons
    involved in said event, but it rarely changes the future. Why? Because
    human beings have this tendency to see their particular circumstances as
    unique and not connected to or mirroring the past. We are quirky that way.

    Build another memorial if we want. I just don't know what it means any more.

    Brad
    Uriah768@aol.com