dhcs: readings

From: Andrea K. Laue (akl3s@cms.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 16:44:51 EST

    Looks like Phil's message bounced. Here it is again.

    But I notice, Phil, that you tried to send some other items as well. The
    list can't handle attachments. Maybe we can upload those documents to toolkit?

    -akl

    ---

    Hi all, hope you are having a good feast holiday.

    Below are the readings I've chosen for our interface discussion:

    Bush, Vannever "As We May Think" http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/computer/bushf.htm The classic speculative interface essay.

    Licklider, JCR, "Man/Computer Symbiosis" Engelbart, Douglas, "A Conceptual Framework for the Augmentation of Man's Intellect" Both available on the seminar Toolkit Site, these essays lay out the concepts of interface as automation and as augmentation.

    Pynchon, Thomas "Heart-to-Heart, Man-to-Man:" from Gravity's Rainbow Also on the seminar Toolkit site, a very short, two-page passage that raises some critical ideas about the nature of interface, and is clearly the section from which Gibson stole the whole conceptual framework for Neuromancer.

    These readings cover what I feel are the major theoretical/critical issues around interface. Attached to this email are several documents that address the practical side of interface design. These are documents I generated while working for a consulting firm, that show the development of an interface design from concept to finished page schematics. This is the type of work that I would expect our program graduates would be able to produce by the end of their time here.

    -Phil