Re: Publications again

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:21:29 EST

    At 09:04 PM 11/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:
    >Dear all,
    >
    >I am very sorry that I have been so quiet

    We have all been quiet, after your emails, and we need to crank this
    discussion up again, or we won't have anything concrete to recommend to our
    respective governing bodies when the year is over....

    >I do not need to say anything about how things are going to work if LLC
    >becomes the
    >journal of the umbrella organisation because John has already made clear
    >the question.
    >I like the idea of LLC becoming such a journal but I think it will not be
    >enough to have
    >just a journal if as we hope many organisations join ADHO. I think we need
    >to think of
    >a book series as well where specific (interdisciplinary) topics could be
    >treated.

    Sure--I think that would be a fine idea. If Oxford were interested, we
    could talk to them, but Virginia is also a possibility, now that they are
    getting more involved in electronic publishing in the humanities, and
    Blackwells also, perhaps--they're doing the companion to digital humanities
    that I'm editing with Susan Schreibman and Ray Siemens.

    >I am all for an electronic journal, as well. Perhaps it should not just
    >duplicate papers which
    >have been publishes already in LLC but could serve its own goal or add
    >value to papers /
    >books published in print in LLC or the series. Again there was a lot on
    >this in one of John's
    >contributions.

    I agree that it should do its own publications: the suggestion about
    republishing from print was meant as a way to connect the two, and to amass
    some selected essays from LLC (and CHUM, if Kluwer were willing) to make
    the online site immediately substantial, informative, and attractive.

    >I like the idea of pooling WWW sites into one WWW site with a mirror
    >(perhaps some sort
    >of spin off would come handy here, too. Some contribution to the job
    >marked would not
    >seem a bad idea).

    Yes (but you mean "job market" above, right?)

    John