Re: Synergies again

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:26:30 EST

    At 09:10 PM 11/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:

    >There is one thing that I cannot sort out in my mind, however. The whole
    >idea with
    >ADHO seems pretty easy as long as we talk in US terms. But what about
    >regionalisation
    >and ALLC? ALLC and ACH are already working closely together and organise
    >comunal
    >conferences. Would there be no ACH/ALLC conferences any more? Would ALLC orga-
    >nise European conferences and ACH would take part as allied association?
    >Or would ADHO
    >organise the conferences in different countries and ALLC and ACH would act
    >as allied orga-
    >nisations?

    I think the idea would be to understand ALLC as mostly European, ACH as
    mostly north american, and encourage other organizations to spring up
    elsewhere ("mostly Australian" or "mostly Asian" or "mostly South American"
    etc.) and then bring them into the joint conference arrangement. That
    might mean that the conference doesn't just oscillate back and forth
    between US/Canadian and European sites, but ranges more widely from year to
    year--and there could be some downsides to that, if it made it more
    difficult for people to retain at least a once-a-year contact with the
    organization--but it would also have some positives, I think.

    >Another question which we have to discuss is how regionalisation should
    >work. It seems to
    >me that in European terms a solution to this problem is very urgent. In a
    >way the best would be
    >that ALLC become itself un umbrella organisation of European organisations
    >which might spring
    >up in the near future.

    There's no reason that the "mostly continent-based" organizations couldn't,
    if they liked, have regional or national constituents, perhaps holding
    smaller meetings at mid-year, etc.. The Modern Language Association does
    this, with a South Atlantic MLA, a NorthEast MLA, etc..

    John