Re: Publications again

From: Elisabeth Burr (Elisabeth.Burr@uni-duisburg.de)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 19:43:06 EST

    At 16:21 14.11.02 -0500, you wrote:
    >At 09:04 PM 11/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:
    >>Dear all,
    >>
    >>I am very sorry that I have been so quiet
    >
    >We have all been quiet, after your emails, and we need to crank this
    >discussion up again, or we won't have anything concrete to recommend to
    >our respective governing bodies when the year is over....
    >
    >>I do not need to say anything about how things are going to work if LLC
    >>becomes the
    >>journal of the umbrella organisation because John has already made clear
    >>the question.
    >>I like the idea of LLC becoming such a journal but I think it will not be
    >>enough to have
    >>just a journal if as we hope many organisations join ADHO. I think we
    >>need to think of
    >>a book series as well where specific (interdisciplinary) topics could be
    >>treated.
    >
    >Sure--I think that would be a fine idea. If Oxford were interested, we
    >could talk to them, but Virginia is also a possibility, now that they are
    >getting more involved in electronic publishing in the humanities, and
    >Blackwells also, perhaps--they're doing the companion to digital
    >humanities that I'm editing with Susan Schreibman and Ray Siemens.

    Lets put this down on our list, if everybody agrees

    >>I am all for an electronic journal, as well. Perhaps it should not just
    >>duplicate papers which
    >>have been publishes already in LLC but could serve its own goal or add
    >>value to papers /
    >>books published in print in LLC or the series. Again there was a lot on
    >>this in one of John's
    >>contributions.
    >
    >I agree that it should do its own publications: the suggestion about
    >republishing from print was meant as a way to connect the two, and to
    >amass some selected essays from LLC (and CHUM, if Kluwer were willing) to
    >make the online site immediately substantial, informative, and attractive.

    I think, in the end we are both talking about the same thing.

    >>I like the idea of pooling WWW sites into one WWW site with a mirror
    >>(perhaps some sort
    >>of spin off would come handy here, too. Some contribution to the job
    >>marked would not
    >>seem a bad idea).
    >
    >Yes (but you mean "job market" above, right?)

    Oh, yes, I mean the job market. When I talk / think of multilinguality I
    think at the same time about
    the (culturally, linguistically, tecnologically) well educated people
    needed . Spin-off enterprises, accor-
    ding to me, are an interesting thing because they arise around universities
    (i.e. are not just business
    unrelated to some sort - I am very cautious - culture) and universities
    which do translation studies
    for example could offer some concrete perspective to their students. A bit
    tentative, yet, I know.

    >John

    Elisabeth

    HD Dr. Elisabeth Burr