Multilingualism

From: Elisabeth Burr (Elisabeth.Burr@uni-duisburg.de)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 15:12:45 EST

    Dear all,

    I think, the Canadian experience is very important and I would like to know
    a bit more how bilingualism is treated at the moment of conferences.

    For what concerns conferences I would like to ask you to have a look at

    CLiP 2001 http://www.uni-duisburg.de/FB3/CLiP2001/

    and CLiP 2002 http://www.uclm.es/gcynt/clip2002/

    Both conferences make available their web pages in about six different
    languages
    and ask people to hand in their abstracts in at least two languages. In
    fact, at CLiP 2001
    you find two language versions on the web.

    What have we learnt by doing this?

    1. The objective has to be pursued above all in the European context (but I
    think
          the respect for language diversity is not just a European business)

    2. Most people are able to hand in abstracts in two different languages.

    3. Making available web pages in several languages means a lot of work as
    long as
         individuals are trying to do this.

    For what concerns multilingual electronic journals let me direct you to the
    following
    project:

    http://www.uclm.es/lamusa/

    And for what concerns multilingual projects I would like you to have a look at

    http://www.uclm.es/gcynt/chime/

    Some quite unordered thoughts on what we should aim at /on what we need to do.

    We should at least aim at:

    multilingual conference and electronic journal web-sites
    abstracts of conference contributions in at least two languages to be
    published on
    the conference web
    publications in journals with an abstract in a different language to be
    decided by the
    author her-/himself
    publications in at least two languages in the electronic journal

    What we need to do

    change the idea that a paper should not be published in different languages
    - it should
    become important to publish in different languages, not in order to
    increase the number
    of one's publications but in order to help spread ideas and research
    results (in linguistics,
    for example, a lot what is published in English is never read by Germans or
    people from
    Romance countries, the same goes naturally for what is published in German
    or in a Ro-
    mance language). See also Espen on this and on what follows.

    It would seem impossible, however, to have documents translated by members
    of the lo-
    cal orgs as Geoffrey proposed. Most of us are already struggling so much to
    get through
    their work that it is not possible to take on more, it would even be
    counter productive.

    It would be much better to get a university involved which is doing
    translation studies
    and would be willing to create or already has created a spin off enterprise
    doing transla-
    tions and thus could offer such a service to congress organisers and
    speakers / authors
    who cannot do their abstract or paper in a second language. We would
    naturally have to
    study ways to make such a service available in affordable terms. The
    umbrella organisation
    would have some responsibility there.

    That's all for the moment, I have to prepare for the journey to Copenhague.
    Best Elisabeth

    HD Dr. Elisabeth Burr
    Fakultät 2 / Romanistik
    Gerhard-Mercator-Universität