[tei-council] guidance sought on maintenance of TEI Tite

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sat Dec 6 18:48:20 EST 2014

Hello Council members,

I want to provide an update on the maintenance of TEI Tite.

In 2010, Laurent Romary, who was then Council chair, appointed a task
force for the maintenance of Tite:

http://lists.village.virginia.edu/pipermail/tei-council/2010/012044.html

The task force hasn't really managed to work together much; instead, the
others have been content to let me do things.

I let this work slide while I was on Council but when I finished up my
term a year ago, I pledged to follow through on my unfulfilled
obligations.  I've found some time recently to work on this.  (You can
see my detailed notes if you're interested:
http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/User:Kshawkin/My_Council_obligations/Plan_for_TEI_Tite
.)

At this point, I have managed to reconcile the two versions of Tite, and
I have implemented a few bug and feature-request tickets that were
straightforward and uncontroversial.

Still, there's one bug and a number of feature requests that I am not
comfortable with implementing unilaterally, and I'm not even sure any
more that the Council still wants decisions about Tite made by members
of this task force.

I am willing to help see these things through to resolution, but I'd
like to receive a renewed mandate to do so and, specifically, guidance
on the extent to which I should make decisions on my own or seek input
from you all or others.

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. -- I can never keep straight the difference between "old-style" and
"new-style ODDs"; all I can remember is that one involved inclusion and
the other exclusion of elements.  Could someone check that
http://sourceforge.net/p/tei/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/P5/Exemplars/tei_tite.odd
has actually been rewritten to be new-style?  The svn history on this is
unclear.  It might have been done at
https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/code/8764/ , but, again, I'm not positive.