[tei-council] standoff

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 28 04:19:00 EST 2014

> On 27 Nov 2014, at 17:49, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:
>
> On 14-11-27 09:35 AM, James Cummings wrote:
>> On 27/11/14 16:48, Martin Holmes wrote:
>>> IIRC, we did briefly discuss this at Council this month, when talking
>>> about another ticket, and I don't remember any opposition to it at all.
>>> The only thing I recall our arguing about in the past was the name. I
>>> wish we didn't spend so much time worrying about tag names.
>>
>> Are we confusing two tickets here? There is the standoff element
>> one and the external metadata one. They are, presumably, quite
>> different?
>
> They're definitely different -- <xenoData> (still like that) as a child
> of <teiHeader> and <ldb> (too mysterious, I think) as a child of <TEI>
> -- but I think we discussed the latter briefly while talking about the
> former.

the name <xenoData> makes my skin crawl, but as I wasn’t at the meeting I will leave that alone :-}

But it seems fairly incredible that we’d introduce _two_ parallel new children of <TEI>
both of which contain standoff metadata. Can’t we have just one <metadata>, with sections for
<xenoDate> and for <annotation>?

I have a gut feeling that some of the bits of current <teiHeader> might move to the new
section. eg <profileDesc>

which may suggest that in fact we should look again about the new things being in the header.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.