[tei-council] standoff

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Fri Nov 28 07:46:25 EST 2014

Am 28.11.2014 um 10:19 schrieb Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk>:

> But it seems fairly incredible that we’d introduce _two_ parallel new children of <TEI>
> both of which contain standoff metadata. Can’t we have just one <metadata>, with sections for
> <xenoDate> and for <annotation>?
>
> I have a gut feeling that some of the bits of current <teiHeader> might move to the new
> section. eg <profileDesc>
>
> which may suggest that in fact we should look again about the new things being in the header.

May I introduce a third possibility?
What about creating a TEI binary (zip) format (examples being docx or odt)? In doing so we could provide a way for relating all sorts of data/documents/schemas/ODD to a TEI file without polluting the document itself.
I chatted briefly about this option with Martin during the Duke meeting and Martin added that there is not so bad application support from (e.g.) oXygen for zip containers.

What do others think?

Best
Peter