[tei-council] standoff

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Nov 27 12:49:48 EST 2014

On 14-11-27 09:35 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 27/11/14 16:48, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> IIRC, we did briefly discuss this at Council this month, when talking
>> about another ticket, and I don't remember any opposition to it at all.
>> The only thing I recall our arguing about in the past was the name. I
>> wish we didn't spend so much time worrying about tag names.
>
> Are we confusing two tickets here? There is the standoff element
> one and the external metadata one. They are, presumably, quite
> different?

They're definitely different -- <xenoData> (still like that) as a child
of <teiHeader> and <ldb> (too mysterious, I think) as a child of <TEI>
-- but I think we discussed the latter briefly while talking about the
former.

> Names have meaning and power... often power to confuse and
> mislead if chosen in haste.

Absolutely. And actually what brought everything together on the
CorrespDesc proposal was I think settling on <correspAction>, which
clarified that we were all talking about the same thing. But it does
seem that we get bogged down in name discussions for long periods of time.