[tei-council] Preparation for F2F meeting

lou lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 16 10:53:09 EST 2014

We'll discuss this later, but I think it might be helpful to specify
more exactly the scope of the proposed validation service. Does it give
the punter anything beyond what they can readily get by running jing (or
whatever) for themselves?

And when we say "valid", does it mean "valid against TEI-ALL"? "valid
against TEI-ALL plus the schematron rules defined by the TEI"?
semantically valid (TEI-conformant as defined in P5)"  i.e. respecting
the intended semantics of TEI tags?

An ODD file itself has to be valid against TEI-ALL, in some sense, and
also against the TEI-ODD odd. Beyond this set of constraints (readily
checked by existing validators), there are some more recondite areas
such as those which Roma tries to provide for in its so-called
sanity-check, ensuring that (for example) every element retained in an
ODD-derived schema is either referenced in some content model, or a root
element.

And then there are  constraints which might be added in a pureODD world
but which cannot be validated to the same extent by different schema
languages.

I think this may be  an excellent area for future work! Thanks for
proposing it!