[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 4 06:34:22 EDT 2014

On 03/10/14 22:30, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 3 Oct 2014, at 21:06, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I really am wondering whether <textNode/> is any more than syntactic sugar
>>> for <macroRef key=“data.text”/>. WDYT?
>> Fair point. I don't think it is any different in implementation terms, except of course that <textNode> comes with a specific semantics, which the macroRef doesn't have. You might for example change data.text to preclude empty strings, as you were suggesting earlier.
> The semantics of <textNode> == data/@type=‘string’, no?

rng:text or rng:string ? presumably the latter.  Calling our macro
"data.text" (even though it has the value rng:string) is going to return
to bite us several times, I foresee. For example, the macro macro.xtext
is defined as "text | model.glike" not "string | model.gLike".

How do you feel about giving <textNode> macro.xText as content? It's
more consistent with the TEI semantic model!