[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 17:30:03 EDT 2014

On 3 Oct 2014, at 21:06, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> I really am wondering whether <textNode/> is any more than syntactic sugar
>> for <macroRef key=“data.text”/>. WDYT?
>
> Fair point. I don't think it is any different in implementation terms, except of course that <textNode> comes with a specific semantics, which the macroRef doesn't have. You might for example change data.text to preclude empty strings, as you were suggesting earlier.

The semantics of <textNode> == data/@type=‘string’, no?  I don’t see the gain of
the special case, apart from shorthand. I sort of feel it is dragging us back to
the bad old days of SGML.  We sort of avoided the issue with @allowText.

Does this bother other people? if no, I shut up.

> When reckless eric sa "This datatype is harmful because it doesn’t behave like any other datatype in that spaces are normalized for any datatype except string and xsd:normalizedString before text nodes reach the datatype library and left unchanged for string datatypes." what exactly do he means? string is a bad thing because whitespace is not normalized within it?

which is bad thing in attributes, for most people, and in a database context. Obviously in mixed mode, its highly desirable!

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.