[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 4 09:46:57 EDT 2014

On 4 Oct 2014, at 11:34, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> The semantics of <textNode> == data/@type=‘string’, no?
>
> rng:text or rng:string ? presumably the latter.

eh? rng:string doesn’t exist, does it?

> Calling our macro "data.text" (even though it has the value rng:string) is going to return to bite us several times, I foresee. For example, the macro macro.xtext is defined as "text | model.glike" not "string | model.gLike".
>
> How do you feel about giving <textNode> macro.xText as content? It's more consistent with the TEI semantic model!

Yes, I was going to raise this point. But then how do people say they really _do_ want just text?

The more I think about this in real life, the more I worry about the biting. Using <mixedContent>
at least has the benefit that we avoid saying what the “mixed” consists of, but <textNode>
exposes us to the “text” question which seems to haunt us like Europe haunts the Conservative Party.

 * if <textNode> == rng:text, people have to be taught to add <macroRef key=“model.gLike”/> as well
 * if <textNode> == data.text, then people can’t specify just the equivalent of <rng:text>

since we’re saying that <mixedContent> is for newbies, and <content> is for experts, the experts
might as just use the full power of data.*; why bother with the shortcut element for the
(actually very unusual) case of #PCDATA (we use that 2 or 3 times in the TEI)? note also
the lack of symmetry with <datatype> content.

as I said, promoting use of <textNode> seems like we’re teaching people to make
old-skool XML DTDs where that was the only datatype available.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.