[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 15:50:49 EDT 2014

On 3 Oct 2014, at 20:29, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> I am now wondering whether our <textNode/> is actually needed.
>> Why are we not doing <macroRef key=“data.text”/> in these
>> circumstances?
>
> Probably because we didn't decide how to use macros in pure ODD -- e.g. should their value be constrained to be an expression in pure ODD? and if so, how?

assuming we put off this decision for now, then <macroSpec type=“dt”> (and no-one else) is allowed
to refer to Relax NG concepts.  This lets us expand the TEI datatype library as we wish
(as discussed today). thats fine. Since we have the capability already to say:

 <elementSpec ident=“foo”>
   <content>
     <zeroOrMore>
	<alternate>
           <macroRef key=“data.sex”/>
           <elementRef key=“hi”/>

I really am wondering whether <textNode/> is any more than syntactic sugar
for <macroRef key=“data.text”/>. WDYT?

apropos of which, what is the difference between <rng:text> and <rng:data type="string”/>?

the great Eric speaks, at http://eric.van-der-vlist.com/blog/2005/01/07/562_relax_ng_text_versus_data/
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.