[tei-council] French example tweaks

Syd Bauman syd at paramedic.wwp.northeastern.edu
Mon Sep 8 19:09:33 EDT 2014

> This example is indeed A Fine Mess. And the 1st example is clearly
> rubbish too -- it looks like a template for an example, not an
> actual example. I have no idea who might be responsible, though I
> have my suspicions. I've removed both examples -- they are in any
> case absolutely nothing to do with filiation, since they are just
> talking about people who might have been involved in the binding
> (reliure). I'll contact my suspect and ask them what on earth they
> think is going on here.

Sounds good. Thanks.

> Are placenames in a particular language? Is "London" in English ?
> If it appeared inside say a German text would you tag it with
> xml:lang="en"?
>
> "Mauritius" in French is called "Ile Maurice", fwiw. But Réunion is
> the same in both French and English, just like "Lyon".
>
> I think this is a can of worms we may regret opening, and I would
> recommend removing those xml:lang s!

Well, I think "London" is in English (as well as some other
languages), and certainly would use
  I live in the <placeName xml:lang="es">Estados Unidos</>
and
  Yo vivo en los <placeName xml:lang="en">United States</>

That said, I think you're right, this is a can of worms. We may want
to open it someday, but not now. I'll remove those xml:lang= attrs
in a few ...