[tei-council] French example tweaks

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 8 17:15:25 EDT 2014

On 08/09/14 20:30, Syd Bauman wrote:
> I just noticed two French examples that could use some attention.
> (I was thinking of Lou, but anyone who speaks French reasonably well
> would be a step better than me. :-)
>
> 1.
> --
> The 2nd French example in Source/Specs/filiation.xml looks like it
> has (at least) 2 errors:
>    <listPerson>
>      <person xml:id="pFp2" role="relieur">
>        <persName>
>          <addName>Le Gascon</addName>
>        </persName>
>        <affiliation>Atelier</affiliation>
>        <residence>Paris<placeName/> </residence>
>    <!--                 ^^^^^^^^^ = empty placeName? -->
>      </person>
>      <person role="ancien possesseur"> </person>
>    <!--                              ^^^ empty person? -->
>    </listPerson>
> I'm pretty sure that first error is just that the placeName tags
> should surround "Paris":
>        <residence><placeName>Paris</placeName></residence>
> But I'm not at all sure about the empty person. I think it belongs
> there (otherwise this is not much of a <listPerson>), but wonder what
> the content should be. The previous French example has the same value
> for role=, so maybe this is a copy of that? Or maybe the content
> should just be "<!-- ... -->" to indicate "stuff goes here"?

This example is indeed A Fine Mess. And the 1st example is clearly
rubbish too -- it looks like a template for an example, not an actual
example. I have no idea who might be responsible, though I have my
suspicions. I've removed both examples -- they are in any case
absolutely nothing to do with filiation, since they are just talking
about people who might have been involved in the binding (reliure). I'll
contact my suspect and ask them what on earth they think is going on here.

> 2.
> --
> In Source/Guidelines/en/ND-NamesDates.xml within section "NDGEOGmp",
> in the Mascarene Islands example, some of the place names are clearly
> French. I've put "xml:lang='fr'" on the two place names
>    La roche qui pleure  and   Île aux cerfs
> but wonder about the others.

Are placenames in a particular language? Is "London" in English ? If it
appeared inside say a German text would you tag it with xml:lang="en"?

"Mauritius" in French is called "Ile Maurice", fwiw. But Réunion is the
same in both French and English, just like "Lyon".

I think this is a can of worms we may regret opening, and I would
recommend removing those xml:lang s!