[tei-council] addition of <availability>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Sep 8 16:01:40 EDT 2014

On 14-09-08 12:52 PM, Fabio Ciotti wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> It is conceivable that a chapter of a book might have different
>> availability criteria than the book that contains it (for instance, the
>> first chapter may have been released freely online as a "taster", while
>> the rest of the book is only available for purchase). So I think there
>> is certainly justification for being able to distinguish between
>> <availability> as it applies to <analytic> and as it applies to the
>> containing <monogr> in the same <biblStruct>.
>
> Yes I do agree. My point is that <biblStruct> contains the reference
> to the chapter not to the monograph. As I understand the actual
> situation if you want to put the monograph in the bibliography as a
> distinct item you should add a distinct <biblStruct> from that with
> the <analytic> description. So if you need to state anything about the
> availability of the monograph it should go inside that second
> <biblStruct>. En passant, it is obvious that this is very redundant
> and that a more appropriate way of encoding this should give the
> possibility to factorize the <monograph> and allow for pointers in the
> analytic level (this is in fact possible since <monograph> has the
> linking atts, but its content model requires the presence of at lest
> <title> and <imprint>).

Good point. So in a case where someone is including only one
<biblStruct> for a chapter, you don't think it should be possible or
necessary to provide information about the availability of the
containing monograph. That's OK with me.

If I liked <biblStruct> at all, I'd definitely be on your side with
regard to the need to be able to point out to an external container
rather than (as we often see) reproducing the same <monogr> multiple
times in a <listBibl>. I've used XInclude for this in the past.