[tei-council] addition of <availability>

Fabio Ciotti fabio.ciotti at uniroma2.it
Mon Sep 8 14:53:18 EDT 2014

> model.biblPart, <analytic> and <series>.
>
> We also decided that it should be added to <monogr> which is a more complex
> element. But this element seems to have 2 places where it makes sense to
> include it. I did both but can change it out before tonight.
>
> 1. as a generic entry, after the main bibliographic information, and just
> before the model.notelike set of elements.
>
> 2. Inside <edition> - in case the availability of a particular edition is
> not the same as the availability of the work as cited in the main part of
> the entry.
>
> Questions: does this make sense? If so, should <availability> also be added
> to <imprint> inside <monogr> ?

I was wandering if it could be better to put <availability> only
inside <biblStruct>. In fact each <biblStruct> contains the reference
to a single item and is that item (whatever bibliographic level is)
that is available under some rules. This is also the structure of MODS
where <accessCondition> (the equivalnmet of <tei:availabilty>) is a
top level element.

Anyway I would avoid putting it inside <edition> or worse <imprint>.

fabio

PS reading the relevant chapters to answer your question I have had
the feeling that bibliographic elements are very redundant and
complex, and in a sense they are very "retro"... but maybe it's just a
feeling.