[tei-council] DTD generation and overriding @rend, again

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 3 10:56:28 EDT 2014

On 03/08/14 15:27, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 03/08/14 12:53, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>> My
>>> guess would be that anyone sophisticated enough to know what to do with
>>> them has long moved on to RNG or XSD.
>> i am inclined to agree. but there may be communities in rural Montana who
>> cling to the Old True Ways.
>
> I am sure there are some very sophisticated people in rural Montana too,
> however, the real problem is that those hypothetical old timers probably
> won't be reading TEI-L either. Until all their systems break, of course,
> (FWIW, my guess is that iff people ARE still using DTDs they are MORE
> likely to be using the parameterised version, not less, since this is
> what we used to require.

I tend to think this is probably closer to the truth than we'd
like. There are certainly TEI Members who do not subscribe to
TEI-L (e.g. libraries where the responsible person pays the bill
for their library but doesn't actually do TEI themselves) and
plenty of people who use the TEI who also don't subscribe to
TEI-L (or are members).  I think asking the question in this way
is probably a hiding on to nothing -- If ppl answer saying they
do, then we should keep supporting them. If no one answers saying
they do, then we still don't know that there aren't people out
there using them. How many people using parameterised DTDs means
that we should still support them?

If this was asked as part of a longer survey, circulated to all
members as well as outside TEI-L I'd be more confident of the
results.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk