[tei-council] Popup bibliography references in the Guidelines

Paul Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Fri Jul 4 01:52:24 EDT 2014

Running on Windows 7
And visiting
http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CE.html

Checking for the odd bullet points

IE 11 does indeed push the list bullets from the first list
on the page (the list beginning "the note element defined in section
3.8 ...") over to the left margin and therefore overlays the
table of contents box.

Safari 5.1.7 displays fine
Firefox 30 displays fine
Chrome 35 displays fine

(I haven't installed Comodo Dragon or Ice Dragon on this machine yet:
  those are my usual browsers -- locked down versions of the Mozilla
  and Chromium code respectively.)

Testing the links

Safari 5.1.7 works well as both mouseover tip and onclick popup, though
   those do not (of course) exactly match.
Firefox 30 ditto.
Chrome 35 ditto.
IE 11 ditto.

pfs

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 20:26, Martin Holmes wrote:
> Incidentally, I noticed something odd when testing this. If you're using
> IE on Windows, could you go here:
>
> <http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CE.html>
>
> and confirm that you see, as I do, four strange bullet points mixed in
> with the navigation links at the top left of the page?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 14-07-03 05:22 PM, Martin Holmes wrote:
> > Some of you might remember that last year I added some JavaScript to the
> > Guidelines HTML output that modifies what used to be jumping-links from
> > the text down to the footnotes into a slightly more elegant system
> > whereby a footnote now shows in a popup without causing your browser
> > window to jump around. For a long while I've been intending to extend
> > that so that it also handles bibliography links. I had time to do that
> > on the plane home, and it's now in the Jenkins builds. For example, if
> > you go here:
> >
> > <http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CE.html>
> >
> > and look for the reference "Kay (ed.) (2007)" and click on it, you
> > should see it show in a popup instead of bouncing you off to the
> > BIB.html page.
> >
> > As with the previous footnote code, this fails gracefully; if you have
> > JavaScript turned off, or your browser refuses to do this for some
> > reason, you'll just default to bouncing to the BIB page as before. If
> > you're looking at a purely local copy of the Guidelines on your hard
> > drive, Chrome does refuse to do this because it's suspicious of your
> > intentions, so you just get the normal link behaviour.
> >
> > I've tested this in Firefox, Chrome, and Opera on Linux, and IE on
> > Windows, and it seems to be working everywhere. I'd appreciate a bit of
> > testing on Safari and on Mac versions of browsers if you have a minute.
> >
> > For anyone interested in how this works: it creates an invisible iframe
> > after the page has loaded, and loads the BIB.html page into it, so that
> > it can then retrieve the bibl references from there and put them in the
> > popup. There is no actual change to the Guidelines HTML code at all;
> > it's all done by JS that runs after the page loads. I'm as uncomfortable
> > with iframes as the next person, but this one never actually appears in
> > our HTML, so I think it's worth it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Martin

Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
PFSchaffner at umich.edu | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/