[tei-council] multiple representations of a graphic/media

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Apr 28 12:22:01 EDT 2014

Hi Lou,

On 14-04-28 09:05 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 28/04/14 15:30, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> On 28 Apr 2014, at 13:46, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Nested <media> is the obvious solution. That would allow for different
>>> width, height etc. for each alternate video.
>> I agree, that seems sensible.
>
> Sorry, but it doesn't seem sensible to me at all.
>
> Firstly, it's currently not legal : media cannot self-nest.

Yet.

> Secondly, if they could, what would it mean? Surely, it would mean that
> the media was composed of several other media. Which is not the same at
> all as these several other media are alternatives for each other, which
> is the use case here as farv as I understand it.

The idea is based on what HTML does with <object>, which works very well:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.3>

The user-agent is expected to use the first one in the tree that it's
able to handle. At the bottom level is a text fallback that can be
displayed when nothing else works; we already have <desc> for that.