[tei-council] multiple representations of a graphic/media

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 28 12:05:14 EDT 2014

On 28/04/14 15:30, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2014, at 13:46, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:
>
>> Nested <media> is the obvious solution. That would allow for different
>> width, height etc. for each alternate video.
> I agree, that seems sensible.

Sorry, but it doesn't seem sensible to me at all.

Firstly, it's currently not legal : media cannot self-nest.

Secondly, if they could, what would it mean? Surely, it would mean that
the media was composed of several other media. Which is not the same at
all as these several other media are alternatives for each other, which
is the use case here as farv as I understand it.

We should create another grouping element, not misuse an existing one.