[tei-council] Linking issue in the Guidelines

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Feb 26 14:21:50 EST 2014

Can others confirm they see the same behaviour here? I go to:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/examples-attRef.html>

which looks fine. There are two links to <attRef>, one in big type at
the top of the page, and one in little type just above the example. I
click on the little one, and it takes me to this URL:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/und/html/ref-attRef.html>

Note the "und" in the language slot; this results from the example being:

<exemplum xml:lang="und">

which of course makes sense -- it's of undeterminate language because it
has no text in it at all, just some attribute values -- but since
there's no "undeterminate language" version of the Guidelines, the link
is broken. It seems to me that any exemplum which is "und" should link
to the language version which is current in the rendered page on which
the link appears (or failing that, if it's too hard, to the English version.

The "und" link is broken, which leads to a second problem:

------------
A system error reading a resource occured!
Server error 404
Not Found

The requested resource "/cms/error_docs/not_found.html" was not found on
the server.

Apart from the spelling error, this message is telling us that the "not
found" error page was not found. Since the underlying system is not
under our control, should we attempt to put a nicely-formatted and
properly-spelled 404 page into the CMS at the location the server is
searching for it?