[tei-council] Deleting an attribute from its class, but reinstating it on an element

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 26 18:42:21 EST 2014

On 26 Feb 2014, at 19:11, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> 1. Delete @sameAs (among others) from att.global.linking; but
>
> 2. Reinstate it on the <category> element.
>
> I thought this would be the way to do it:
>
> <classSpec ident="att.global.linking" module="linking" type="atts"
> mode="change">
>   <attList>
>     <attDef ident="sameAs" mode="delete"/>
>   </attList>
> </classSpec>
>
> [...]
>
> <elementSpec ident="category" module="header" mode="change">
>   <attList>
>     <attRef class="att.global.linking" name="sameAs"  />
>   </attList>
> </elementSpec>

you’re being bitten by order of evaluation. you delete @sameAs from the class, then refer
to it later. By the time <attRef> comes along, sameAs is dead and buried.

there isn’t a right answer here. If we reverse the order of evaluation, then when you (e.g.) change
the datatype of @sameAs instead of deleting it, you’ll be upset cos your copy on <category>
is the original, not the changed one.

I don’t have an answer to this.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.