[tei-council] TD exemplifications

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 4 09:35:13 EST 2014

I'm making a pass through TD checking that what it says about ODD is
still in line with our current practice, and have stumbled across the
following old chestnut. How do you include an example of an example
(using <egXML>) ?

Consider the following:

from which an example is taken, typical by means of a pointer to an
entry in an associated bibliography, as in the following example:
     <egXML xml:lang="fr" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">
   <![CDATA[
   <exemplum versionDate="2008-04-06" xml:lang="fr">
considerés étrangers.</p>
     <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples"
source="#fr-ex-Queneau_Journ">
secrétaires faisaient du
     </egXML>
   </exemplum>
]]></egXML>

This is valid as it stands because of the (shudder) CDATA marked
section. Remove that however and you get a validity error for the inner
<egXML>.

Hmmm. I'm sure I understood this once. Maybe there's still too much
christmas pudding in my brain.