[tei-council] Things needing translation

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jan 3 01:35:08 EST 2014

Surely some examples can't actually be translated, or don't make sense
when they are? For instance, if I'm exemplifying <person> in Chinese, I
want to use a Chinese person; if I'm using <cit> and <quote> for
Japanese I don't want to be using Shakespeare in English or Japanese, I
want to quote Basho or someone like that.

I would think it's rather unusual to find an example which can simply be
directly translated, and still remain a good example. You might follow
the model of the original in terms of the markup structure, but you
would surely change the data, more often than not, wouldn't you?