[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Dec 22 12:54:39 EST 2013

On 13-12-22 09:33 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2013, at 17:26, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:
>
>> It provides examples of the former, like this:
>>
>> <list rend="runon" type="ordered">
>>   <item n="1">My first rough manuscript, without any
>>     intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
>>   <item n="2">Not a sheet has been seen by any human
>>     eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
>>     the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
>> </list>
>>
>> where the numbers in the @n attribute are transcribed from the text.
>> This seems to me egregious: transcribed text should never be in
>> attribute values.
>
> In that case, @n rather loses its point? it’s intended for literal text which either was in the original
> or will be in the output.  In the past it has stood in, of course, for generated numbers in the days
> when people thought that was impossibly hard to do.

I see nothing in the definition of @n which suggests it's intended for
transcribing things that actually appear in the text:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.global.html#tei_att.n>

Are there other instances in which we ask people to put transcribed text
into attributes? I thought the war on attributes was supposed to
eliminate this sort of thing entirely. It seems especially bad when
<label> is sitting there for precisely this purpose.