[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 22 12:33:40 EST 2013

On 22 Dec 2013, at 17:26, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> It provides examples of the former, like this:
>
> <list rend="runon" type="ordered">
>  <item n="1">My first rough manuscript, without any
>    intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
>  <item n="2">Not a sheet has been seen by any human
>    eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
>    the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
> </list>
>
> where the numbers in the @n attribute are transcribed from the text.
> This seems to me egregious: transcribed text should never be in
> attribute values.

In that case, @n rather loses its point? it’s intended for literal text which either was in the original
or will be in the output.  In the past it has stood in, of course, for generated numbers in the days
when people thought that was impossibly hard to do.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services