[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 22 13:12:24 EST 2013

On 22 Dec 2013, at 17:54, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:
> I see nothing in the definition of @n which suggests it's intended for transcribing things that actually appear in the text:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.global.html#tei_att.n>
>
> Are there other instances in which we ask people to put transcribed text into attributes? I thought the war on attributes was supposed to eliminate this sort of thing entirely. It seems especially bad when <label> is sitting there for precisely this purpose.

if you want a glorious example of our madness, look at att.global.xml:

              <bibl n="   1">
              <bibl n="   2">
              <bibl n="   3”>

what on earth are those spaces/tabs doing in @n, I wonder??

but consider these:

          <divGen n="Index Nominum" type="NAMES"/>
          <divGen n="Index Rerum" type="THINGS”/>

what is “Index Rerum” if not literal text? mind you, that suggests to me that <divGen> should support <head>.

@n "gives a number (or other label) for an element”, which surely is something that should have been killed the The Attribute Wat.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services