[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Dec 22 12:26:58 EST 2013

As I work on the wiki page for this  work, I've been looking at the
Guidelines prose for Chapter 3.7:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COLI>

and there are some rather nasty-looking survivals from P4 here. For
instance, the prose recommends that:

"If however an enumerator is retained in the encoded text, it may be
supplied either by using the n attribute on the item element, or by
using a label element."

It provides examples of the former, like this:

<list rend="runon" type="ordered">
  <item n="1">My first rough manuscript, without any
    intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
  <item n="2">Not a sheet has been seen by any human
    eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
    the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
</list>

where the numbers in the @n attribute are transcribed from the text.
This seems to me egregious: transcribed text should never be in
attribute values.

Do you agree?

My developing wiki page is here:

<http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/List_types_and_rendering>

and it should be ready for discussion at the next telco.