[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Dec 22 10:19:56 EST 2013

I take your point about the value "numbered", although a), b) c) is just
a kind of numbering really (if it were labelling, then the order of the
letters wouldn't matter).

On the point that the rest of the world uses the "ordered" vs
"unordered" distinction, outside of HTML (which I think got this wrong,
although the decision was made before CSS existed), what other standards
use those terms? XSL:FO doesn't (it relies on fo:list-item-label, which
can be a bullet or a number). ODF (on which I'm no expert, so correct me
if I'm wrong) uses text:list-level-style-number> alongside
text:list-level-style-bullet>.

On balance, I still prefer "numbered", but another possibility would be
"enumerated" -- is that actually different, and if it is, would it be
better?

I'm going to turn this into a formal proposal on the wiki; it's
obviously not going into the next release, because the stylesheets
obviously have to be ready at the same time as the Glines changes.

On the question of handling old values in the Stylesheets, I think we
have to, at least for a while; people will scream instantly if @type
values we've been recommending for many years suddenly don't work
properly with a new release of the Stylesheets. This brings up the
possibility of deprecation in the Stylesheets, of course.