[tei-council] Bug 506: examples for @corresp

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Dec 20 12:58:30 EST 2013

On 13-12-20 09:35 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> I think we'd want to add some explanation before or after the example
> explaining that the point of this example is not just to show linking
> from the document to an endnote but that the linking is in two directions.
>
> Still, if I were reading the Guidelines, this example would raise a
> question for me: why not use @target on <persName> as well?  I suspect
> the answer is that @target is not allowed on <persName>, but then this
> makes me wonder why the TEI doesn't add it -- or at least we wouldn't
> acknowledge that someone might want to do so.
>
> To put it more bluntly, the example strikes me as attribute abuse
> designed to avoid having to create a customization, and I don't think
> we'd want to promote such practice.

I think this illustrates the very nature of the problem: we argue
endlessly about which attributes ought to be on which elements, and add
them one by one in grudging response to requests, but what people
actually want is to link virtually anything to virtually anything else,
with the attribute providing the semantics of the link; half the time,
they're forced to use global attributes such as @corresp because the one
they actually want (@resp, @target) is not available on the elements
they need to link.

This will keep happening -- people will keep on needing to link things
together in ways that we don't allow them to, and we'll keep on taking a
year to argue about whether @x belongs on element y, and refusing to
make attributes global -- and as a result we will continue to force
people into a much looser usage of e.g. @corresp than we originally
intended. Because the looser usage in this case is now the norm, we have
to accept it and exemplify it. Perhaps some will argue that even if the
entire community is doing something, they can all still be wrong and we
can hold fast to our strict definition and condemn them; but let's
remember that the TEI is a "community-based specification", not a de
jure standard (<http://jtei.revues.org/523>); we're supposed to respond
to the community's needs, not police their behaviour.

I purposely took this example from Syd and Julia's teaching materials
because that shows that not only have people been doing this for years,
it's actually been specifically taught by the two most well-respected
and widely-travelled instructors in the TEI world, going right back to
P4. Surely we can put something like that into the Guidelines.

Actually, though, ranting aside, I disagree about the suggestion that
@target is appropriate. The persName is surely not a pointer to the
note; it's a persName which happens to have a note associated with it.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)