[tei-council] TEI on GitHub

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 13:34:46 EST 2013

This has been raised at a number of face-to-face meetings and in
each case decided that there is not a clear convincing argument
for switching for production of the Guidelines. We've nothing
against git as a technology and one can use git at SourceForge if
we want. We separated out the Stylesheets branch specifically
because we wanted to encourage greater community contributions to
them (and we should push/advertise/mention this more). This isn't
necessarily the case with the Guidelines which are a much more
limited beast. (While we want all members on Council to be able
to change them we want to limit the changes that are done by
those outside of Council to things which Council have approved.)
It isn't that you couldn't also do that on github, just the we're
not then getting enough benefit to switch.

I worry about Hugh's mirroring of the Guidelines in github in
case people start pushing changes or submitting issues there
rather than in sourceforge. However, I trust he'd redirect those
back. ;-)

-James

On 12/11/13 12:12, Hugh Cayless wrote:
> There’s some reluctance to embrace Git and GitHub, I think. So
> no roadmap at this point. Setting up a mirror on github/TEIC
> wouldn’t be very hard at all, but would involve some work and
> making some decisions. I wanted to do it because I’m working
> on a revision to a section of the Guidelines and branching in
> Git is way less painful than in subversion.
>
> Hugh
>
> On Nov 12, 2013, at 11:59 , Peter Stadler <stadler at edirom.de>
> wrote:
>
>> I think that’s a good idea (and I can’t think of anything to
>> be said against it?!) to mirror the current Guidelines svn
>> repo at GitHub. Actually, I see that the stylesheets already
>> moved to GitHub and that there is a TEIC account, so, is
>> there any roadmap or whatever strategy is there for
>> mirroring/moving the council activities to GitHub?
>>
>> Best Peter
>>
>> Am 12.11.2013 um 10:49 schrieb Hugh Cayless
>> <philomousos at GMAIL.COM>:
>>
>>> More of academic interest than anything, but
>>> https://github.com/hcayless/TEI-Guidelines is how TEI
>>> would look on GitHub and is a live git-svn clone of the
>>> Guidelines svn. It’s not automatically updated, so it’s as
>>> up-to-date as when I sync it.
>>>
>>> Hugh -- tei-council mailing list
>>> tei-council at lists.village.Virginia.EDU

PLEASE NOTE: postings to this list are publicly archived