[tei-council] Fwd: Re: Council Face-to-Face 2013-11 Oxford joining notes

Paul Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Sat Nov 9 08:51:15 EST 2013

Having done this many times, I'd say that only a wandering
spirit and sense of perversity would drive me to take the
train on this particular route. I always clutch my carryon on
my lap, sink into it, and sleep for an hour -- especially important
for those of us who arrive on 'red-eyes' and haven't slept for
24 hours at that point. Only downside is that arriving at
Terminal 4, you have to take the Heathrow Express free shuttle
to Heathrow Central (look for the signs to Heathrow Express/Connect,
not the Tube), then walk a long way to the Central Bus Station
(follow signs to Terminal 3 for most of that route). Bus stops at
stand 14A. Don't go through the barrier before they open it or
they will be vexed with you.

I always pre-book online and carry the voucher with me (you
also have to show ID): the vouchers reserve a seat on a particular
bus but are also good for other buses if you happen to arrive
early (like this time) or late.

pfs

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013, at 8:37, James Cummings wrote:
> On 09/11/13 13:34, Lou Burnard wrote:
> > It's the same bus if you read the notes carefully. It's "operated by"
> > Oxford Bus Co on behalf of National Express,  whatever that means.
>
> Ah really, I thought it was different, but I see you are right.
>
> For travellers: easiest thing to do is show up at the stop and
> buy ticket from the driver.  (29 pounds for a period return).
>
> -James
>

> > On 09/11/13 13:33, James Cummings wrote:
> >> Hi Syd,
> >>
> >> Instead of the national express bus, I would still recommend the
> >> Oxford Bus Company 'Airline' coach
> >> http://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/ one as suggested in the joining
> >> notes. I've found it much more reliable.  (But, as ever, this is
> >> just a suggestion.)
> >>
> >> -James

> --
> Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
> Academic IT Services, University of Oxford

Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
PFSchaffner at umich.edu | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/