[tei-council] Electing a TEI Technical Council Chair for next year.

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 30 18:33:50 EDT 2013

On 30 Oct 2013, at 22:26, Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info> wrote:

> While Council members have in recent years gotten along well enough that
> they feel comfortable with public voting, there's a good reason that
> democratic systems have tended to move from open to secret ballot rather
> than the other way around.

I would note the Board has not (I believe) ever had a secret ballot for its
chair, or in its selection of Council chair.

I instinctively feel that open ballots are more likely in the long term
to promote harmony, but I am probably in a minority (possibly of one).

Secrecy is the Great Enemy of our age, after all. Please don't tell
me I am alone here in being on the side of Edward Snowden and Julian
Assange.

(but don't worry, I will go along with whatever is decided).
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services