[tei-council] working with translation

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Oct 23 11:47:25 EDT 2013

On 13-10-23 08:32 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2013, at 16:29, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
>   wrote:
>
>> This suggests that we should adopt a more systematic approach:
>>
>>   - Work module by module
>>
>>   - Edit/fix/revise descs, glosses and remarks in English
>>
>>   - Generate the language spreadsheets
>>
>>   - Harvest the translations
>

> it's a bit of a Forth Bridge paint job, no? I'd be a bit unhappy if
> this put off work on the real task (filling the gaps in the i18n)
> for a considerable time while we meander through doing
> word-smithing on short sentences.

I know, but... if the result of posting the translation spreadsheets is
that we all start correcting the original English, we're doing our
translators a disservice because their translations will be instantly
out of date.

We could start by only soliciting translations only for the empty
instances. Since those are presumably recent additions, their English
versions are probably less likely to be unsatisfactory. This should be a
relatively short process, I would hope, and could act as a pilot project
for a more extensive process later where we revise and update
everything, module by module.

What do you think?

> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research) of Academic IT