[tei-council] remaining EEBO TCP issues

Paul Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Mon Oct 21 10:50:18 EDT 2013

To be exact, these are issues that remain (or did remain, before
some recent changes), *after* TCP output has been transformed
by Rahtzian magic. I.e., there are still some incompatabilities, but
most can be dealt with by some global no-look transforms. E.g.,
TCP postscript is still contained in closer rather than a sibling of
closer, but this can be transformed out of existence. And changing
all our milestones to labels is easy enough. (Etc., I am sure.)
The more substantial postscript issue (our more generous content
model) has already been dealt with. Ditto for signed. Location
at the top is not a big deal, since it can always be wrapped in
opener, and for us usually is.

The stage @place @n issue was I think prompted by stage
directions that take the form of typical flagged marginal notes(b)

(b) (aside)

pfs

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013, at 12:12, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> in continued pursuance of my goal of bringing EEBO TCP into the P5 fold,
> I have updated http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/EEBO/
> with links to existing and new feature requests to solve
> the four areas I have identified.
>
> There is more discussion, and examples, in the paper
> at http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:f9667884-220b-4ec9-bb2f-c79044302399
> (though some of the issues described there have since been resolved).
>
> obviously Paul and Becky are much better able than me
> to provide background on their encoding choices, but each
> time I look at the original, I can see just why the TCP encoders
> did what they did.
>
> yrs in hope of a quiet life
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research) of Academic IT
> University of Oxford IT Services

Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
PFSchaffner at umich.edu | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/