[tei-council] TEI Stylesheets, the road less travelled

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Jul 28 19:06:23 EDT 2013

On 13-07-28 02:45 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2013, at 16:01, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:
>
>> Presumably we will need to do something similar in the TEI Subversion
>> repo, won't we? That will have to include what's required for the
>> Guidelines generation and all the schema generation and testing, so that
>> Jenkins can run it all, and the likes of Syd and Lou can build locally
>> as they like to do. People will need to end up somehow (preferably quite
>> straightforwardly) with a tree that can build the current state of the
>> Guidelines and schemas with the current state of the stylesheets.
>

> personally, I'd like to revert back to a position where the builder of P5 (whether it
> be Lou or Jenkins) simply has the current public release of the styesheets
> installed (either by hand or by a Debian package), and the P5 build
> refers to it in a standard place. It needs to be part of the _Stylesheets_ release
> process to check that it does not break P5, I think.
>
> if the P5 build throws up a problem in the stylesheets, we pause the release
> process and make a new Stylesheets release, slowly and surely.
>
> is there a downside to this?

The downside is that if you're working on edits to the Stylesheets and
you want to see their effect on the current state of the Guidelines, you
can't do that until a release has been done; and right now the only
person who can do a release of the Debian packages is you. So I think
this will actively inhibit effective work on the Stylesheets, which I
think is what you were trying to encourage. The idea of the current
Jenkins setup is that we see, in the results of the complete build
chain, the effect of the current state of the Stylesheets (unreleased,
usually) combined with the current state of the Guidelines codebase and
the schemas.